10 Sep Alarming Statistics About Your Business & Phishing
Alarming Statistics About Your Business & Phishing
Phishing is a fraudulent attempt at obtaining one’s sensitive information. This often includes usernames, emails, phone numbers, passwords and other similar details. It’s often done by pretending to be a trustworthy or legitimate entity in order to fool unaware users.
Here are some alarming statistics about phishing and how it affects our businesses on a regular basis.
1. 43% of data breaches were caused by internal actors
Internal actors such as IT employees are the biggest risk when it comes to data breaches.
2. Of that 43%, 21% came from unintentional actions by employees
Unintentional actions such as opening malicious emails and phishing scams caused 21% of those data breaches.
3. 68% of data breach incidents required public disclosure
If a data breach reveals sensitive data, it must be disclosed to the public. A breach can result in heavy fines if kept hidden.
4. 71.4% of targeted attacks involve spear-phishing emails and scams
Targeted attacks are often used by cybercriminals to obtain information about a company.
5. 66% of malware is installed by users clicking on malicious emails
Malicious emails are a large source of accidental malware installations that can lead to data breaches.
6. 43% of data breaches involve social engineering
Social engineering is a form of phishing that causes almost half of all recorded data breaches.
7. Over half of all registered phishing attempts are designed to steal money
Phishing is a very common tactic used to steal a victim’s money.
8. 63% of confirmed data breaches involved compromised or weak security
This includes poor cybersecurity measures, weak passwords or stolen contact details.